Usually when a BMW is serviced, the shop carrying out the service should reset the service indicator light for you. However, if for some reason you need to do it yourself, you can follow this procedure to reset it at home without needing any special tools:
- Turn on the car’s accessories on but do not start the engine. If your car has a key, this is usually the second position. If your car has a push button start, some models will need you to push the button once, others may require you to push the button three times. Check the owner’s manual to make sure.
- There is a small button next to the odometer, usually on the bottom left corner of the dash cluster. Press and hold this button until the service message appears.
- Once you get this message, release the button and then press and hold it again until you get a display that says “Reset?”
- Release the button, then press and hold it again. You will get a display that says “Reset in Progress”, keep holding until you see the display say “Reset Successful”.
- Now turn the car off, and turn it back on again and fire up the engine. Make sure that the light has been properly reset.